When a tenth of a second determines whether you end up winning or losing you know you have to make sure you are taking full advantage of your engine’s setup and getting every last little bit of energy it can produce out of it and to the ground. The AEM High Output IGBT Inductive “Smart” Coil (30-2853) will make sure you are doing just that when it comes to your ignition system.
The trade off between adequate spark energy and adequate spark duration ends with AEM’s High-Output Inductive Coils, the first inductive coils that deliver CDI-like spark energy and voltage, and the long spark duration necessary for vehicles running high compression, high RPM, forced induction and/or nitrous engines.
Every auto enthusiasts who has a forced induction engine, high RPM engine or runs nitrous oxide should be aware of the compromises that come with using inductive coils instead of converting to a Capacitive Discharge Ignition system (CDI). While inductive coils deliver a long spark duration with simplicity, they lack the energy to adequately ignite the mixture in the combustion chamber of a highly modified performance vehicle. Conversely, CDIs deliver an intense burst of spark energy, but with very little spark duration, which makes having the proper air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber paramount for best performance. This compromise ends with AEM’s High-Output IGBT “Smart” Inductive Coils.
AEM’s High-Output Inductive Coils each deliver over 100mJ of spark energy and a minimum of 40,000 Volts—as much as most CDI systems, without the need for a CDI module! They also provide very long spark duration at full energy, unlike CDI systems and multiple spark systems which fire off small spark events prior to and after their CDI burst to mimic longer spark duration. AEM’s “Smart” Coils are designed for use on applications that do not have an external igniter
- Massive Spark Energy, up to 103 mJ
- Incredibly long spark duration, up to 2.9mS
- Up to 40kV Output Voltage, without using a CDI
- Deliver CDI-like spark energy—No CDI Module needed
- Cost less than aftermarket LS1 coils
- Can be mounted almost anywhere
- Weather and Shockproof design
- Can be mounted directly to the Engine
- Output (no load): 40kV minimum
- Output (50pF load): 40kV +/- 10%
- Output Energy: 103 mJ +/- 7%
- Peak Secondary Current: 102 mA +/- 10%
- Arc Duration: 2.9mS +/- 10%
- Turns Ratio 71:1
- Maximum Current: 19 Amps
- Maximum Battery Voltage: 17 Volts
- Base Dwell: 3.0 mS
- Max Continuous Dwell: 9 mS but don’t exceed 40% duty cycle
- Max Intermittent Dwell: 80% duty cycle, 5 seconds maximum
- Mating Connector: Packard/Delphi 12162825 “Pull to Seat”
- Mating Contacts: Packard/Delphi 12124075 “Pull to Seat”
- High Tension Wire Terminal: HEI “spark plug top” Style
Check out our AEM Infinity Ignition sync and tuning blog to learn exactly how to sync up the ignition timing between our engine and an AEM Infinity ECU. This same processes applies to all engines and is made incredibly simple when using AEM smart coils.